Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sensational Beginnings

No, I'm really not that full of myself. I don't think I'm anything out of the ordinary or amazing or special....I mean sensational in a different way. A new way. An "unfamiliar territory" kind of way. A way that terrifies me and explains so much all at the same time. A way that more and more parents like me are understanding every day.

I mean sensational as it applies to Sensory Processing Disorder.

You don't know about Sensory Processing Disorder? That's alright, I didn't either. And I still have a lot to learn. In the simplest of terms, sensory processing refers to the way our nervous systems gather information through sensory messages and turns it in to responses. We are continuously receiving sensory messages through our 8 senses. Yep, there's eight. Most of us have no problems receiving these sensory messages and translating them in to appropriate responses. In fact, for most of us the process is effortless, we don't have to think about it. But for some, those sensory messages get all jumbled up and they are unable to organize them into appropriate responses or behavior which ultimately interferes with daily routines.....this is the group in which my son is found. This is Sensory Processing Disorder.

You might not have heard of SPD before. If you just happened upon this blog, you might not have even met my little guy E before. But I guarantee you've seen someone affected by SPD as you've gone about your daily business. You've seen it in the little girl throwing a Mt. Everest sized temper tantrum in the grocery store just because her sister looked at her the wrong way. In the 7-year old boy down the street that still can't pedal his tricycle, let alone ride a two-wheeler. Or in the frazzled looking mom that appears at first glance to be glaringly incompetent, but who in fact has experienced one too many meltdowns that day despite effort of superhuman proportions.

I hope this blog might help to raise awareness. I hope this blog will help me process my own thoughts and emotions. But more than anything, I hope this blog will help me make sense of my son's world. For him......and for me.

No comments: